Monday, 23 May 2016

Starting an OSGi webconsole project...

 Gibhub project 

You can find the project here.

Motivation


Although I like the felix webconsole, more often than not I faced issues with integrating it with an existing codebase. OSGi is all about modularity, meaning (amongst others) that the OSGi framework makes sure that the runtime dependencies your code relies on are met. But, in the case of something like an OSGi webconsole, any dependency I have is too much. I want to install the webconsole in any kind of environment, and I want it to work immediately. I do not want something like "Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.apache.commons.fileupload; version="[1.2.0,2.0.0)"", which is what I get if I put the felix webconsole into eclipse Mars.

So, this bundle is an effort to provide a single bundle, ready to be dropped into any (recent) OSGi runtime, starting up an embedded server which gives me an insight into my OSGi application - even if the application doesn't start up.

Idea

Use bndtools to create a bundle which provides all its (minimal) dependencies itself:

Currently these are

Status

Well, just started ;) - Updates will be provided on various channels, like blogger.com.

Feedback usually is quite motivating ;) - the more people are interested, the more fun this will be. Let me know!

Features:


  • Bundles Overview
  • Bundle Details
  • Services Overview

Screenshot (version 0.1.1.)